Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Day of reckoning

We just returned from the library where we paid to replace the most beloved of all Busytown books, "Car and Trucks and Things That Go."  

It was peed on.  Twice.  

Remember George and the art book?  There was a lot of that too.  But, as unpleasant as it may be to ponder, I figure plenty of library books spend quality time in the loo.  

But then it was peed on, and even though it cleaned up off the plastic cover quite nicely, I began to wonder if maybe it would be morally wrong to return it.  Then it was peed on again--inside this time, on the pages.  That's when I knew this book would become a permanent part of our family.  

For weeks we've been renewing the book over and over, postponing the inevitable.  Finally, today we bought the book.

We're out twenty bucks, but I owe my son's regularity (too much information?) to that book.  I'm not sad it will still be around.