Friday, January 16, 2009

-12

That's how cold it was when David and I went to the Y this morning.  I could feel the snot in my nose starting to freeze.  Now I understand why there was nobody on the roads.  Smart people don't go out when it's twelve below and there's a wind chill warning in effect.  (Don't worry: In addition to his winter coat, David had on a hat and gloves.  He was happy to wear them.)

Despite the fact that there is a lovely snow-covered hill in our backyard, David and Mary (who are smart) decided the best use for the snow tube was for sitting on together, wrapped in blankets, watching Sesame Street.  Additionally, it made a great boat for David, and, for Mary, a good place to wear her brother's mittens.  Yes, my children are smart.  

And me?  I'm not so smart.  I have an errand to run this afternoon, and I fully intend to go, with kids in tow, albeit with lots of winter gear.  

But I will add, negative twelve degrees has the effect of making one profoundly, humbly grateful to God for something as simple, or not so simple, as shelter.