Friday, January 2, 2009

"By small and simple things"

Last Sunday was my final time teaching the most awesome Primary Sunday School class of all time:


This year we discussed such deep issues as
  1. The exact location of heaven
  2. Temple divorce
  3. If we're supposed to love Satan, since Jesus told us to love everyone
  4. What our spirits look like after we die
  5. Miscarriages
  6. If Satan or Jesus is stronger (Jesus!)
  7. And whether or not the hanged man should have X's for eyes 
Besides the occasional doctrinal digression or game of hangman, we did stick to the lesson manual.  The lessons in it are great.  Here are some titles:

"Remember to Say 'Thank You'"
"Always Tell the Truth"
"I Can Be Kind"
"I Can Forgive Others"
"I Will Obey the Law"
"Choosing the Right Gives Me a Happy Feeling"
and
"I Can Help Others Be Happy by Sharing"

It seems at first a list of simplistic, warm-fuzzy topics.  But these are the teachings of Jesus Christ Himself.  The lessons all draw directly from the Savior's teachings in the New Testament.  Think of the simple, most basic things that Christ taught (like "love one another") and place it in the context of the world today.  What a different place it would be if people did what these seven-year-olds are taught to do.  That's some powerful stuff.

I think, for me, the best lesson was "Prayers Are Answered in the Best Way."  The key is in the best way.  Often it can seem that God is not hearing our prayers because He does not seem to answer them.  That's because at times the best answer God can give is no answer.  No, in class we did not specifically discuss how God will not take away another's free will so things can play out according to our desires, even if they're good desires, or how the hardships from which we pray for relief can be for our benefit, shaping us into what God desires we be.  Our discussion centered primarily on why God probably wouldn't answer a prayer for a million candy bars.  (They would make you sick!)  But the concept is the same:  God always hears our prayers.  And He always answers them.  And He always answers them in the best way.  So sometimes the answer is no answer.  

My sweet seven-year-olds are moving up in Primary, and this coming year they will finish preparing to be baptized.  

I will miss thoughtful deep-thinking S, the ever-talented and bright Alexis, sweet K's heart of gold, and watching super cool Sh mature and become even more super cool.

I won't be teaching anymore.  Instead, I've been given, among other things, the responsibility of ringing the bell between classes.  This responsibility weighs heavily upon me, especially since my life is lived "plus or minus ten minutes."  I gave up watch-wearing the last month of my mission, and I've never gone back.  (Time doesn't matter in Higuey.  As long as there's enough of it for a chimi, right, Leah?)  Fortunately, my aunt recently sent me a Hello Kitty watch.  Some things truly are inspired.