Sunday, April 12, 2009

Obligatory Easter pictures of my children in their Sunday best

I quite like the Easter tradition of new clothes.  It compliments nicely the ideas of rebirth, newness, and hope.  The tradition may have lost some of its significance in this hyper-materialistic age, but I'm still clinging to the idea.

Unfortunately, I'm never organized enough to ensure that my children have brand new springy outfits to wear on Easter Sunday.  Oh well.  

So today they were dressed in their newest Sunday clothes, and I insisted on taking their pictures before we went to church.  By golly, even if they weren't wearing special Easter outfits, I was going to act like they were and take a picture of them all dressed up on Easter morning like good little Christian children.  

These are the best pictures I got.  Really.

I think they thought I was crazy for trying take pictures before church.  I mean, we get up and go to church every Sunday, and every Sunday they wear their church clothes.  Why was Mom suddenly chasing them around with a camera this time?

Sure, I was shouting, "It's Easter!  It's Easter!"  But that didn't seem to help.

On the way to church we passed half a dozen other churches, their usually near-vacant parking lots overflowing this morning with cars and families and pastel dresses.  Maybe next year if we only go to church once, on Easter Sunday, it will feel more special, and my children will oblige the camera lens.  

Or I could get them to smile at my camera with a bribe.  Of robin egg M&Ms and Starburst jellybeans.  Yes, that's what I will try next year.

So you will see us in the pew next Sunday, and the Sunday after that, and the one after that, and so forth.  And, though their hair may not be combed, my children will be dressed in their best.  Some Sundays they will wear something new, but most Sundays they won't.  With luck and a little foresight on my part, they will wear new clothes next Easter Sunday.  But if not, that's okay.

The hope of the Savior's sacrifice is for every day.