Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Mobility achieved

Yesterday during David's nap I sat Mary down in the middle of the living room surrounded by a number of toys. (Mary has been sitting up well now for a few weeks, and it's wonderful. She's able to sit and entertain herself for a while. ) Seeing that Mary was sufficiently interested in the selection of toys, I ran off to type a quick email. When I returned a few minutes later, she had vanished! There were the toys, the blanket, but no Mary. My first thought was, "David!!" But, no, he was still napping. Trying not to panic, I called out, "Mary? Mary, where are you?" (What was she going to do? Say, "Hey, Mom, I'm over here"? But saying her name seemed like the thing to do.) I soon found her in the corner behind a lamp chewing on a cord!!

So it's official. Mary is now mobile. It's just a little, wriggly worm scoot, but enough to take her across a room in no time. I now see my house with new eyes--the outlets, the electric cords, the tracked-in mud, the crusty old piece of playdough under the table, the tiny little plastic toy parts. She's only 5 months old! I had hoped for a couple more months of stationary-baby bliss. Ah, but I can't help but be happy for her. She's so proud of herself, and the world is opening up to her new ways. Way to go, Mary!