Friday, April 25, 2008
Musical compromise
I don't know about you, but I can't listen to "John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt" all day. And so far I haven't been able to interest David much in Radiohead or The New Pornographers. But we've been able to find some compromises. The soundtrack to Juno is our new favorite CD. (Yes, I'm old-fashioned and still buy CDs. I think the most musically technologically advanced thing I've done in the past year is ask Greg to download for me the new Radiohead album. We chose to pay 5 English pounds for it, in case you were wondering.) I recently weaned David off "Millennium: '80's New Wave Party," from which his favorites include "Our House" by Madness, Toni Basil's "Mickey," and the oh-so-frequently requested "Doot-doot song" (aka known as "Take On Me"). What I'd really like to listen to in the car is NPR news, but David insists on "fong, Mom, fong" ("fong" = "songs"). Like I said, our latest compromise is the Juno soundtrack. His favorite (and probably mine too) is "All I Want Is You," which he calls the bee song. We like to sing this song together on his way to school. (For some reason, I am allowed to sing too. Usually when I try to sing along to anything, I am reprimanded with a stern, "Stop, Mom, stop!") I am very pleased with our latest compromise, although I will admit it's a little weird hearing your two-year-old sing "I am a vampire, I am a vampire, I have lost my fangs" (see track #18), but it sure beats "John Jacob." I think some of my happiest memories from this spring will be the drives to school happily singing with David, "If I was a flower growing wild and free, All I'd want is you to be my sweet honey bee."