Two weeks ago Mary had a check-up. Today was David's turn, a formality for preschool. He weighs 33 pounds and measures over 40 inches tall. The doctor studied David's growth chart and concluded, "He is tall and skinny." I didn't need a doctor to tell me that! But it was interesting to hear that he is in the 90th percentile in height for his age--so all those people who think he is 4 or 5 are easily forgiven. He is 50th percentile in weight, which explains the skinny part, and leaves me dreading cooler weather. Where/how am I going to find pants that are long and skinny enough--and with an elastic waist that he can pull up and down himself (i.e. those fabulous adjustable waistbands are out)?
The doctor checked David's reflexes with a little hammer. I am a little uneasy about David having seen a doctor hit a patient with a hammer, since David enjoys giving his baby sister check-ups. I noticed that the toy doctor kits don't include the reflex hammer anymore (like they did when I was little). But no matter--David has about four toy hammers in his tool collection. And now he has another use for them! Poor Mary.
(By the way, I really like Dr. Stahl, our pediatrician. Among other things, he is easy to work with, which has been a plus for coordinating David's speech therapy and also dealing with the reoccuring bouts of bronchiolitis. I asked him how much longer he is going to be stationed here, and he said another year or two. Hooray! He will be here for the remainder of our time.)