Tuesday, October 7, 2008

10 more days

If Mary had been born on her due date, we would be pulling out the candle, cupcakes, and balloons today.  But we have to wait 10 more days.  

With David, as a first time mom, I thought babyness ended at birthday number one.  As a result, I saw David as such a big boy on his first birthday.  I thought his babyhood was over.  This made me sad and happy.  I had no idea how much more babyness there was to come.  

This time around I know better.  Consequently, as we approach Mary's first birthday, I see her as a little baby.  Maybe too little.  I think in my mind she is still six months old, eight at the most.  Which is why I was surprised when--

--She snatched the phone from me, put it to her ear, and started "talking."  Since when do little babies talk on the phone?

--She folded her arms and bowed her head to pray over our meal.  Since when do little babies pray?

--She searched for two matching shoes and then brought them over to me, insisting I put them on her.  Since when do little babies insist on wearing shoes?  And matching ones at that?

--She chose a book, brought it over to me, and plopped her bottom in my lap.  Since when do little babies decide when it's story time?

--She diligently tried to attach one Duplo Lego to another.  Since when do little babies build with Legos?

Mary amazes me every day, but I'm not sure if it's because she's especially brilliant, or because I'm stuck in a time warp.

Either way, I know that with the passing of her birthday, there is still more babyness to come.  Babyhood isn't over yet.  That makes me sad and happy.