Yesterday was also the worst day of Mary's life. She was hyperventilating throughout the appointment and soaked my shirt with her tears and snot. (It is nice that David always took these things in stride.) Mary's hysterics made for a pretty miserable time for everyone involved, though David sweetly sang her songs and gave her his stuffed rabbit. Overall, though, I think the poor young resident was the most traumatized of all. (Better get used to crying kids, if he thinks he's going to be a pediatrician. They're not all like David.)
Despite Mary's meltdown, the lowest point of the afternoon involved David. I had hoped that when we were at the clinic, David could get his flu shot. So I had prepped him accordingly, and, in typical David fashion, he was excited at the prospect. Unfortunately, they didn't have the flu shots in yet. David was disappointed (!?!), but I was sure that after seeing Mary get her shots, he would be relieved. But, no, watching Mary get her shots (and witnessing the accompanying hysterics), made him even more excited to get his shot (!!??!!).
David was heartbroken. The nurse had to give him a sucker for not getting a shot (and for being a good big brother). And I had to drag him across the hospital as he cried, "I want my shot! I want my shot!" I think he is the first child in recorded history to cry about not getting a shot. He continued to whine, "I want my shot," all the way home. Then he asked me about it first thing this morning. I told him we would go next week, which made him feel a little better. He told me he was excited to get his shot. He is also jealous of Mary's five band aids, even though they are boring plain ones.
I guess the flu shot will give him something to look forward to after Halloween??