Thursday, June 26, 2008

Translation, please

David is finally giving up the made-up words he created for the important things in his life. He's a little late dropping them, but, then again, he was a little late creating them. (And when I say a little late, I mean a little late. He has a mild speech delay--just enough to have qualified for Four Oaks Early Intervention, which he loved, and just enough for our insurance to pay for speech therapy twice a week, which he also loves. Sometimes I even think his speech delay is a gift from God...although it would be nice if he were easier to understand...)

Given that I spend so much time with David, his words have become part of my vocabulary. (It's a little embarrassing how many times, without thinking, I have used the word "abba" instead of "firetruck.") Here are some gems.

  • Abba = firetruck (This has been used so often for so long that when I see a firetruck, I think "abba," and then I have to mentally translate it back to English.)
  • Ambet = ambulance
  • Adda = doctor, hospital, helicopter
  • Allah = granola, library, popsicle, ice cream (Confusing, yes. Context is everything. And there's so much talk of "Allah" around here that you'd think we were Muslim.)
  • Koo = truck
  • Eminem = watermelon
  • Bird = big
  • Boat = book (and boat)
  • Ah-choo = thank you (as previously explained)
  • Pee-pee = step stool (Okay, so he hasn't used this for over six months. But it was so funny when he did. Whenever he wanted a better look at what Mom or Dad was doing on the counter, he would run around the house looking for his little stool yelling "My pee-pee! My pee-pee!")
  • Dbrrrr (like "brrr," when you're cold and vibrate your lips) = fish (Seriously!! I think this is our all-time favorite because of weirdness. And he just barely dropped it last week. Ah, memories...just when a speech evaluation would be going very well, he would be shown a picture of a fish: What a look of surprise on the speech therapists' faces when he would respond with a confident and resounding "Dbrrrrrr!")
  • Diet Coke = Diet Coke (Of all the things to say perfectly??)