Sunday, July 13, 2008

Date night

Every Friday is date night!

It consists of a grocery store, two children, two shopping carts, and two separate lists.

I like our date night. Here's why.
  1. I feel no obligation to do the weekly grocery shopping alone with the kids during the week. (If this were the case, we would probably starve. Or eat out every day.)
  2. We don't have to wonder what we're going to do Friday night.
  3. We avoid the hassle and expense of a babysitter.
  4. We get to bed at a reasonable hour on Friday night, since our kids haven't yet learned that Saturday is for sleeping in.
  5. Did I mention that because of date night I don't have to grocery shop alone with the kids?
  6. Date night is a very efficient way to grocery shop--the whole two lists, two carts thing.
  7. I don't have to carry in the groceries, or put them away, for that matter.
  8. I feel a sense of camaraderie with the other couples with young children who spend their Friday evenings the same way we do. (There are quite a few of us, I've noticed.)
  9. Greg has an opportunity every week to stock up on packaged cookies (like Oreos or ChipsAhoy--yuck) and choose his own PowerBar flavors.
  10. It's actually kind of a fun family outing. If we go to Meijer, David can blow kisses to the lobsters and ride a horse, and I can buy a 32 oz. fountain drink for 99 cents. And if we go to the commissary...well, I hate the commissary, so I enjoy having the company, especially the adult conversation in the car on the way there and back.

You may sense just a hint of sarcasm, and that I can't deny. But I have to say, without any irony, that I really don't mind "date night" in its current form. Sure, Greg and I laugh about how pathetic our lives are right now. But we also know that this won't last forever. Life is one phase after another. I have come to realize that it's easier (and more enjoyable) to embrace the phase you happen to be in, rather than fight it. Friday night grocery shopping has become a happy little family tradition. Someday we'll have "real" date nights, but, for now, we are fine with sharing date night with our kids in a grocery store. So if you were wondering if I have plans for Friday night, the answer is yes.