Monday, July 14, 2008

Thankful

Tonight during Family Home Evening we talked about all the things for which we should be thankful to our Heavenly Father. We listed flowers, giraffes, houses, bears, church, snow, the moon, pineapples, and owls. We also talked about how we can tell God in our prayers what we are thankful for.

Later, when I was putting David to bed and getting ready to say a prayer, I thought to stop and ask him what we should be thankful for. "David, we should tell Heavenly Father what you are thankful for. What do you want to thank Heavenly Father for in your prayer?"

Without skipping a beat, he exclaimed, "Jesus!" To be honest, I was a little surprised--we hadn't specifically talked about being thankful for Jesus, and I was expecting something more along the lines of garbage trucks or pancakes. But when he said it, he knew he had thought of it on his own, and he knew he was giving me the ultimate answer, which indeed it is. He had said it with such simple sincerity too. I had to give him a big hug.

I am thankful to David for reminding me to be thankful for Jesus!

John 3:16