Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Quality time?

By a turn of events, David and I had three hours of one-on-one time yesterday: no Mary, no Daddy, no play dates, no errands to run, or projects to finish. I think this was the first time since Mary was born that we have had this much time together, just the two of us:
  1. First we typed numbers and letters on the computer, especially D-A-V-I-D. But that ended when the F-function keys became more interesting than finding the letter D.
  2. Then David suggested we play Legos. But that ended when he cried because I couldn't build a tower like the ones Daddy builds.
  3. Next, David wanted to play Candy Land. If you think Candy Land is boring (which it is), you should try playing it without any rules--it's even worse, I promise. So Candy Land ended when I mistakenly tried to insist that, if nothing else, we at least take turns.
  4. Next, I suggested we play the Diego matching game, and David eagerly went along with my plan. But that ended when all he wanted to do was throw the pieces around the house.
  5. So I suggested we play outside together. But that idea fizzled when it met with irrationally fierce resistance.
  6. Finally, I decided to follow the counsel of Elders Ballard and Uchtdorf, and invite David to clean the house with me. But that ended when David sprayed himself in the face with Pledge.
  7. Last, David suggested that we play cars. But that ended before we even started when he pooped in his pants.

By this time I was in a foul mood, and we'd only spent a whopping 45 minutes together, so when David asked if he could watch a video about riding a train across Canada, you can bet what my response was.