Tuesday, July 1, 2008

David's first action figure


A few years ago I received one of the best gifts ever, a Jane Austen action figure, complete with quill, book, and writing desk. (A big thank you to my very thoughtful and very cool mother-in-law!) It sat in its box until we moved here to Ohio. David came across it, and he immediately insisted that I open the box so he could play with it. My first instinct was, "No way! This is such a great treasure that it must remain unopened and hidden in a closet for next 20 years." But when I saw David's enthusiasm, I reconsidered, opened the box, and bequeathed my Jane Austen, accessories and all, to my eager two-year-old. That is how Jane Austen came to be my son's first action figure.

Jane Austen was a fun novelty for a few days, especially her little book, which is now lost. Even now, nine months later, she occasionally shows up in random places throughout the house, like on the train table or under the bed. Recently, during a complex and bruising version of peek-a-boo, which included, in addition to the Jane Austen, a tow truck, a baby sister, and a BYU blanket, she was snapped in half (thank goodness for glue). She is by no means a favorite toy--I think David likes the stupid musical American Idol toy from his Happy Meal better--but he has certainly played with her.

There is no doubt that David is drawn to more mainstream action figures like Spiderman and Optimus Prime, even though he has no clue what they are. (Is it some inherent little-boy trait to be drawn to that stuff, or is there an invisible tractor beam coming from that aisle that targets little boys?) Luckily for me, these days he is easily distracted by a Tonka truck or a pile of Legos. I'm sure the day will come when we'll have our fair share of Transformers (or whatever) strewn about the house. But nothing can ever change the fact that David's first action figure was a Jane Austen! (And it was entirely unplanned.)

Extra Credit Question: What is David's middle name? (Hint: It's not the capital of Texas.)