Thursday, February 5, 2009

25 random things

Okay, okay, okay!  But just this ONCE.  And I remain uninterested in joining Facebook.  (I'll let Brooke explain to you why.)  Hello, people, I still have an AOL email account--since when did I join the 21st-century?  But I will play along with all you facebookers (and non-facebookers):
  1. I really like the Beatles.  A lot.
  2. I have been transported to the hospital in an ambulance.  (Skiing accident.)
  3. I have a master's in English lit.
  4. I studied theatre in London one spring.
  5. I have been to a New Kids on the Block concert.
  6. I have given birth twice.  The first was via C-section, and the other was a VBAC (drug-free).  All things considered, I think I preferred the C-section.  (Blasphemy, I know.)
  7. Whenever I am in Europe, I really miss ice.
  8. I like Secretary Gates.  I like him so much that I have to make a conscious effort not to bring him up in conversation (because that would be weird).
  9. I am compulsively bossy, especially to my brothers.  For instance, when my little brother started law school, I had to give him advice, even though everything I knew about law school I had learned from Legally Blonde.
  10. I love Hello Kitty.  This is inconsistent with everything else in my life.
  11. I have an inner math geek.  I even scored higher on the quantitative section of the GRE than my engineer husband.  But I can't remember what 7x4 is.  Or my phone number.
  12. My Mormon friends will appreciate this:  I have been Relief Society president, Young Women president, and Primary president--but all for short amounts of time and under unusual circumstances.  (My non-Mormon friends should know that admitting outright to having been those three things, like I just did, is generally not socially acceptable.)
  13. The only bone I have ever broken was in my little brother's foot.  
  14. I did missionary work for a year and a half in the Dominican Republic.  I always could speak more Spanish than I could understand, which is the exact opposite from what everyone else on the planet experiences when learning a language.
  15. I floss every day.
  16. Mary sleeps in my bed each night.  Baby David did too.  I can't resist.  My babies are so adorable, and I am so lazy.
  17. I wish I were a good cook, but I am not.  
  18. Greg and I officially decided we were getting married (I guess you would call that "got engaged") in my classroom at Springville Middle School.  The seventh graders were not present at the time.
  19. I considered myself to be an animal rights activist when I was a child.  (Once at a party I refused to watch Return from Snowy River because my American Humane Association newsletter had given it a failing grade.)
  20. I prefer vegetables over fruit.
  21. The only Harry Potter movie I like is the third one.
  22. I have read Heart of Darkness three times, and I hated it every time.  I have also read The Great Gatsby three times.  I hated it the first two times, but I liked it the third time when it was proposed to me that it could be understood as a re-writing of Heart of Darkness.
  23. I have flown on a C-5 (the second largest airplane in the world--the Russians make the biggest one) four times, each time to cross the Atlantic.
  24. I do not know where I am from; I suspect that I will never be from anywhere.
  25. In elementary school I set the school record for pull-ups.  Eleven.
Phew!
So did you learn anything new?