Friday, February 6, 2009

A personal story in serial, third installment, with more to come

Then one day I wasn't pregnant anymore.  

(Did you see that coming?  I didn't.)

I knew what was happening right away.  But denial was easier first thing that morning.  Later in the day, when I had a few minutes to myself, I lay on the bed and tried to let the truth sink in.  I felt numb, my mind dark and foggy.  Then, like a bright light piercing the fog, a thought came into my head, almost as if a voice were speaking, "The chromosomes did not split properly."   

Now, I admit, mitosis isn't something that's frequently on my mind--I hadn't thought about chromosomes since Bio 100 freshman year.  So was this God talking again?  Maybe.  I guess I never thought about God's giving mini-lectures on embryogenesis gone wrong.  So I don't know.  But what I do know is that I felt simultaneously sad and comforted.  I knew I was having a miscarriage--there was no denying it--and that made me really sad.  But I also felt amazed, even comforted, by my body's ability to recognize so early on that life was not going to be possible this time.  

I was only five weeks pregnant.  So I was spared a medical event.  And spared from weeks and weeks more of believing that I was going to have a baby on a certain day next summer (because, of course, I had already calculated the due date) when I was wasn't.  And, I did not feel that a baby of mine had been lost, only the potential for one.  For those things I was grateful.  Very grateful.  But I was still sad.  Sad that the positive pregnancy test I'd pulled out of the trash--and the happiness I felt when I saw it--didn't mean anything anymore.