Wednesday, February 18, 2009

When Daddy is gone

My children like to wake up at ungodly hours of the morning.  This is something they inherited from my husband's side of the family.  Since it's in Greg's genes, he gets up early with the kids. 

Right now Greg is in St. Louis.  I am reminded of the morning person I am not.  Sure, I can wake up early.  But don't ask me to function.  Or maintain any standards of decent parenthood.  

Case in point:
  1. My children are entering their third, yes, third hour of television.
  2. Their breakfast consisted of dry cereal in cups, which they ate in front of the T.V.
  3. Mary is wearing nothing but a saggy diaper.
  4. David talked me into ordering a street sweeper for him from the Playmobil website.  I didn't even try to resist.  It was 6:40 AM.
Apparently everything I hold dear as a mother--like clean diapers and not buying toys for my children at 6:40 in the morning--does not matter before 7:30 AM.

It's a good thing Greg gets up with the kids. 

[UPDATE:  Mary just handed me her saggy diaper.  Needless to say, she is not wearing it anymore].